What is a Vaginal Hysterectomy?
Vaginal Hysterectomy in Vizag comes under the category of the surgical method to take away the uterus by the way of vagina. During this approach, the surgeon removes the uterus from the fallopian tubes, ovaries, and upper vagina.
With this approach, the hospital stay is less, reduced cost, and recovery is faster. The need for the incision is there in the lower abdomen area. In some cases, the vaginal hysterectomy might not be possible because of the shape and size of the uterus. The doctor will also talk about other surgical options like abdominal hysterectomy.
What is the need for this treatment?
For various gynecological issues, this approach is beneficial for the patients like:
- Fibroids: If you have pelvic pain, pain during intercourse anemia bleeding, and bladder pressure, then this can help to treat it permanently. If the fibroids are large then through the incision the uterus is taken out.
- Endometriosis: It is the condition when the uterus lining starts growing outside the uterus. In most cases, the doctor will suggest the option of robotic hysterectomy, laparoscopic, or abdominal hysterectomy.
- Gynecological Cancer: This option will work for you if you are diagnosed with ovaries, cervix, endometrium, or uterus cancer.
Apart from that, it can also be suggested for uterine prolapse, adenomyosis, chronic pelvic pain, and abnormal uterine bleeding.
Bear in mind, that you cannot conceive following the hysterectomy. If you are not sure you can give up your fertility, then make sure that you talk to the doctor about other treatment options.
How do I need to prepare for the treatment?
- Make sure you gather all the necessary information you can
- Follow the doctor’s instructions
- Talk about the anesthesia
- For the recovery, you need to ask for help
What happens during the procedure?
Just like you lie on the back for a pap test, the same needs to be done with this. To empty the bladder, a urinary catheter is inserted.
- Initially, the medical expert will make an incision in the vagina to take out the uterus.
- The surgeon will make use of long instruments to hold together uterine blood vessels. This allows the connection tissues, fallopian tubes, and ovaries to get separated from the uterus.
- Through the vaginal opening, the uterus is removed and absorbable stitches are used.
What happens after the procedure?
Once the procedure is done, you need to stay in the recovery room for 1 to 2 hours. You will be prescribed pain medications and your health expert will suggest you start the bodily movement. If you experience vaginal discharge for a few days or weeks, then it is normal.
How the Vaginal Hysterectomy affects you physically?
The women who undergo the vaginal hysterectomy will get back to their normal working regime in less time. You are likely to experience minimal pain and total downtime is for 3 to 4 weeks. For 6 weeks, you should not lift anything heavy and avoid vaginal intercourse.